The post ‘No kidding’ has got lots of responses. Most of the people find today’s kids hyper. That got my thought process started. Are the teachers and Parent spoiling them? The answer is Yes and No. They are not to be blamed fully. We are all a product of our environment. It is the circumstances and experiences that make us. And so are kids today.We grew up in a completely different environment as compared to these kids.
Few reason kids are the way they are could be:
- Most parents do not have time to give their kids and to compensate that loss they give in to every whim and fancy of their child.
- There are no joint families anymore. One of the biggest advantage of joint families are that kids learn to adjust and share.
- No relatives come visiting to your place in vacations neither do you go to somebody else’s place. Instead you attend a host of classes to improve your personality, skills, knowledge,whatever.
- Family outings include “Mom,Dad, Brother/Sister(if any), me and our doggy” in the family car.
- Affluency may be good for the economy but not in this case. With disposable income increasing by the day kids don’t share as much as a eraser with anybody. Each has his/her own mobile, computer…
- They don’t need other kids for playing anymore. They are busy with watching cartoon, playing video games, with their playstations or surfing on the net.
- The emphasis on external appearences is too high not just for themselves but even their parents. I recently heard somebody say he was made to dye his hair otherwise his daughter wouldn’t let him meet her friends.
- They have everything available at the click of a button/mouse or just a phone call away.
- They get too much of attention in everything they do. Right from what they eat, which school they attend, what homework they do, tuitions they attend, what results they get and what talent they possess and how do they go about developing them.
- The level of exposure is pretty high. It is not confined to books or school thanks to TV and Internet. Hence you get to see lots of grown up kids.
Infact growing up in this age must be really difficult with so many expectations. And so much to take in and so little time. Stress levels are really high. Almost negligible outdoor activity. I kind of sympathise with them.