Hirekai/ಹೀರೇಕಾಯಿ/Ridge gourd is supposed to contain loads of nutrients. Just like the vegetable, the skin/peel also has its benefits but we throw it away. Not any more. Here is a nice way to utilize that.
- Hirekai/Ridge gourd peel – I have taken peels from three medium-sized gourds
- Garlic – 2-3 pods(optional)
- Onions – 1/2 small(optional)
- Dry/desiccated coconut powder – a little
- White sesame seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Green Chilli – 1 & 1/2
- Curry leaves
- Oil – 1 tbsp – for frying
- Jaggery/sugar – optional
- Lemon – 1/2 big
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the ridge gourd peel, onion, garlic, curry leaves and coriander and sauté for 7-8 minutes on a medium flame.
- Towards the end, add all the other ingredients except salt and lemon and take it off the heat.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind it to a coarse paste along with salt, water and lemon.
- You can add tempering to the chutney to give it more taste. I haven’t in this case.
- Also you can add roasted groundnut powder instead of coconut powder. That works beautifully too.
Tasted best with roti of any kind 🙂